Salsa Music and Rhythms workshop with Adam Parnell
Please join the >Facebook Event< to receive any updates.
Saturday 16th April
2pm - 5pm
Please note - 20 places only!
Eastgate, Leeds City Centre
Advance booking - £21 for 3 hours (only £7 and hour!!)
On the door - £24
Please contact Rahul Sharma via Facebook or on 07787422579 to book your place.
Musicality workshops with experienced teachers are hard to come by. I was fortunate enough to have access to regular musicality classes during my first few years of learning Salsa. They enabled me to understand and connect to the music and I soon fell in love with these rhythms. Perhaps soon we can start regular musicality classes in Leeds if there's enough interest. Until then, I hope most of the enthusiastic dancers in the scene today will be able to attend and take advantage of this workshop.
** This is the first in a series of upcoming workshops on Salsa Music and Musicality. This will be a hands-on workshop where everyone will learn to play the rhythms and understand the basic structure of salsa songs. The follow-up workshops will assume this knowledge and work on applying all that you've learnt to social dancing - with partners and solo.
What to expect from the workshop:
1) Identifying and playing the rhythms on congas, cowbell, clave and other instruments.
2) How to use the knowledge of these rhythms to achieve a remarkable improvement in your timing.
3) Confidently finding the "1" (or the 2 for on2 dancers)
4) Understanding the basic song structure and energy levels to help create more contrast and flavour in your dancing.
5) Predicting simple breaks, stops and accents in the music.
6) Predicting more complex breaks, stops and accents by looking at some rules of music composition in layman's terms.
Part 1 - The rhythms
- Basic song structure and sections
- 3 strike simplified conga tumbao
- 8 strike conga tumbao
- Cowbell - bongo bell pattern
- Cowbell - mambo bell pattern
- Cascara pattern
- Bongo martillo
- Son Clave
- Piano Montuno (Listening exercises only)
- Bass tumbao (Listening exercises only)
Part 2 - The bigger picture and applications
- How the clave holds everything together
- Difference between "the 1" and "the 5"
- Identifying build-ups in music ending in stops or accents
- Some music composition rules in layman's terms
- Call - response patterns
- Tension - release
- Some Jamming to enjoy your new musical skills!!
About Adam Parnell:
Adam Parnell has been a music teacher for 20 years. He studied music analysis and contemporary composition at The Royal Northern College of Music.
Adam has over 10 years of salsa dancing experience and formed the Latin Band Mambo con Rumbo in 2009, releasing an album of the same name in 2014 (available on iTunes!). The band have gigged and led musicality workshops up and down the country for many years.